There are many resources available on national, state, and local levels:
Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA): This organization helps keeps us informed of our legal rights and responsibilities as Home Educators.
We recommend that homeschooling families join HSLDA. Even if you never experience legal trouble yourself, your HSLDA membership will help enable other homeschooling families to get the legal help they need and will help defend our right to homeschool here in Alamance County. Membership in HSLDA also gives you personal access to the legal staff; HSLDA’s experienced high school, special needs, and Toddlers to Tweens consultants; and discounts through HSLDA’s PerX program. (For more information about HSLDA’s many benefits, see www.hslda.org.) ACCHE members SAVE $15 on the HSLDA membership price when you enter our Discount Group code on the HSLDA membership form! Please contact us at email@example.com to receive the discount code.
North Carolina Department of Non-Public Education (NCDPNE): This site is where you need to register your homeschool. Just click on the “Homeschool” link and you will find all the information you need to become a legal homeschool in our state.
Homeschool Discount Card: If you have registered your homeschool with NCDNPE, you qualify for MANY discounts at stores, museums, zoos, etc! For example; At Barnes & Noble you qualify for the Educator’s Card, which gives you a discount on all educational purchases. Always ask at museums, zoos, aquariums, bookstores, etc, if they offer educator discounts for homeschoolers, and have your card ready to show. Follow the directions to print out your card.
North Carolinians for Home Education (NCHE): This group is a state-level organization that monitors all activity in Raleigh on behalf of home educators. Their website is a wonderful source of information and resources; including what our law says in regard to homeschooling. Once you join you can also print out your ID Card which will make you eligible for discounts at many stores, museums, etc.
NCHE Thrive! Conference and Book Fair: This is a regional 3-day conference put on annually by North Carolinians for Home Education.
The conference mission is to:
- Equip and encourage homeschooling families through an abundance of outstanding speakers and workshops
- Connect and equip homeschoolers with quality curriculum resources through our extensive vendor hall
- Connect homeschool families with each other to build relationships and a strong community
- Celebrate our teens and alums through special workshops, fun activities, fellowship, the talent showcase and our state-wide graduation
The book fair draws vendors who sell everything you need to homeschool from curriculum and science supplies to paper and fun activities! The speakers are always fantastic and offer workshops on a variety of topics like how to get started, helping struggling learners, teaching from a Christian worldview, and what to do after graduation. You won’t want to miss this!
- VERITAS classes (weekly classes for 8th-12th)
- Archway Classes (weekly classes for K3-9th)
- Classical Conversations of Burlington: (contact: Laura Tysinger at Ltysinger96@gmail.com)
- Classical Conversations Liberty: (contact: Suzanne Pace at firstname.lastname@example.org)